Monday, December 13, 2010

Weekend

Note sent to me, after Ward Prayer, on Sunday night:

"You may think we don't realize, but I know that you are an undercover superhero. Keep up the awesome."

Well, thank you, for totally making my day.


Also, I had a really good weekend. I got to perform once again with the amazing Jason Lyle Black. Yes, the backwards-piano, I'm-just-as-or-more-amazing-then-John-Schmidt guy. [If you don't know who I'm talking about, his website, http://www.jasonlyleblack.com/ , will inform you and generally enrich your life].

We did an arrangement of "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" and "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen," using a cajon, a djembe, claves, egg shakers, and the piano, and our voices. We started on a unison (male octave--I used my man-voice), Gregorian-style "O, Come," then split to two parts and added a mild rock beat and a chime part in the piano. the next verse was a heavier rock beat, full piano, and Sabina used her woman voice, soaring out over the top of a VERY rich sound. Everyone dropped out at the end of the verse except the shakers, then we added the drums in a fast mambo beat, and Mr. Black took off in a rousing rendition of "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen." We then moved back into a rock and traded fours, (even the claves), with some crazy, high-energy, high-groove drumming, and Mr. Black goofing off on the piano (his fours/eights sets included not only Christmas songs like Jingle Bells, but also Eye of the Tiger, Billy Jean, and Lady Gaga's "Poker Face"). Then, Jason's last set moved back into "O Come" and the voices added in at the "Rejoice!" section. We had a huge ending (of course) and I honestly thought Nate would put a hole in the cajon he was playing.
It was marvelous.


Also, for the record, I looked awesome, in a gorgeous red formal with beaded roses down the front, and a black velvet jacket. *loves* Also, my roommate straightened my hair, and I wore some fancy perfume. It was fun to remind myself that I like being a girl. I was in the performing group with four good-looking men wearing suits and red ties, which made it even more awesome. And, that it was fairly uncoordinated.

I also got together with two of my cousins on Sunday and made Cardamon Braid and talked about life. It was wonderful.






2 comments:

Emily said...

After I read this, I had to look back and make sure you weren't describing a dream you had. Dang.

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!! Did anyone take a video of it??? Ooooooo so I'm totally dominating my uncurly hair with the curling iron. I want to straighten and then curl your hair when you're home and then take lottza lottza pictures ^_^