Saturday, April 30, 2011

Life List, con't

Well, spring is finally here--well, Spring Term, at least (Utah is still snowing)--and it seems like a good time to come up with more goals, and knock some of these off the list.

I realized that, while i do have some more immediate goals, many of the goals I have are very long-term, and difficult to relate to my day-to-day life.

  • Watch movie in IMax and/or 3D-- A friend of mine took me on a midnight date to Tron in 3-D. It was awesome. Still working on IMax.
  • Take a chemistry class--eventually (as mentioned previously) this will happen. No current application (other than not dying).
  • Take a calculus class--This one is still up in the air.
  • Swing dance well--My roommate and I decided to start going to Swing Club. I may end up ditching in favor of hip-hop. We'll see.
  • Successfully perform a scat solo--Passively working on this. Ears still aren't the greatest. My vocal range, however, has increased significantly. Low D (in the bass clef) to a high A (Above the treble staff) on a typical day. C to C to C on a really good day. (Working toward that being the norm)
  • Run a 5K--time down to 29 minutes. Still working on this.
  • Read the Wheel of Time series--next one doesn't come out til this Fall. Sigh. So, doing all I can to make time for it.
  • Read The Screwtape Letters--Very, very good. Nearly finished.
  • Read the Book of Mormon in another language--Nope, not yet. Long-term goal.
  • Read Dante's Divine Comedy--I found an audiobook version that will let me listen to it while I'm at work. I hope that counts.
  • Play Ultimate Frisbee--So, turns out my new roommate LOVES playing Frisbee and she said she would teach me. Awesome.
  • Play the Ric (well)--mmmmmmm...nope. I need to acquire one of these. Maybe for my birthday.
  • Play the piano: hymns, jazz--not yet
  • Play the Harmonica: Bb Blues--working on this, though I'm mostly on my C harp (s).
  • Play the Guitar--still plunking along. Taking my guitar in to be fixed next week, inShu'allah.
  • Play Slide Trombone--not yet. Though I wouldn't be opposed to some embouchure exercises sometime soon-ish...
  • Play French Horn--see above
  • Perform "Dress Has Always Been my Strongest Suit," from Aida--My OTHER roommate is a theatre person and took soprano vocal lessons, focusing on belting, last year. She said she would help with my technique. Awesome.
  • Own a pet dog-- long-term
  • Own a house, with LAND--LONG-term
  • Memorize 314 digits of pi--I found this awesome site that has the first 50 digits of pi read in a lot of different ways, which is awesome, and i also found this insomnia recording of the first 1000 digits of pi. I will also be using these while at work.
  • Manage finances very well--first finance lesson next Saturday at 7pm
  • Make Creme brulee--have a creme brulee making kit sitting in my kitchen, waiting for some adventurous souls.
  • Make a blouse--registered for a sewing class for Summer 2011
  • Learn to Knit--the first rommate I mentioned (the frisbee one) also knows how to knit. I teach her crochet, she teaches me knit. So excited.
  • Learn to cook Indian food--not yet
  • Learn to cook Chinese food--not yet, but the second roommate I mentioned (the soprano belter) also lived in Taiwan for a few years, and she is going to teach me to make deliciousness.
  • Learn as many folk songs as possible--working on that.
  • Language: Spanish--o.o
  • Language: RussianO.O
  • Language: Italian O.O
  • Language: Hebrew O.O
  • Language: Greek O.O
  • Language: ASL O.O
  • Language: Arabic (O). (O) Oh dear. Well, I'm currently working on this. I downloaded an Arabic primer to my computer and practice pronunciation with it. My downstairs neighbor/RS prez also needs to practice her Arabic, so we agreed to work on it together. Vaguely. We haven't set a time or anything yet.
  • Kiss in the rain :-)--remember that aforementioned embouchure practice? Though I'll have to wait for it to warm up enough, otherwise it would be snow...
  • Hike the Y--planned to go; hike cancelled due to inclement weather. AKA snow. In April. Lame.
  • Have a picnic in a random spot on campus--haven't found anyone cool enough to go with yet.
  • Have a LOT of children-- Long-term. Few pre-reqs to this. Though I am trying to be healthier, eat healthier, learn good Mom skills, and figure out finance habits that will allow me to take CARE of so many children. This is kind of the end goal of all of these other goals. [Contrary to popular belief, awesomeness is not a goal. It is simply a way of life.]
  • Graduate with a bachelor's degree--school full-time, year-round,baby! w00t! Don't die!
  • Go to Yellowstone--not yet
  • Go to the Middle East--long-term
  • Go to Thanksgiving Point Gardens-- I did go to Thanksgiving Point for the first time, but it wasn't to the Gardens-- it was to pick up a sweatshirt that a friend of mine forgot there when he went to the museum. So. Baby steps.
  • Go to New York--Long-term
  • Go to a beach--sigh. Not yet.
  • Go on a mission--Long term
  • Go east of the Mississippi River--long-term
  • Get married--hmm. It'll happen.
  • Crochet Professionally--I'm working on my Associate Professional paperwork for the Crochet Guild of America; I'm also working on my Master's of Craft certificate through the guild. I am working on obtaining a business license for Bina's Bazaar and setting up a Facebook storefront. I also applied to work for Stitch Diva, based in Vegas. So. We'll see how it all pans out.
  • Be debt-free--yeah, right. Long-term. Though I am working on a financial plan.
So, there's the list. There are the updates. I think I need some more short-ish term goals. I'm also working on kicking my allergies and getting my health back under control, and that takes quite a bit of mental/physical energy. But, I feel like I should make some more goals that are more immediate rather than semi- or really-long term. I'm almost to the end of many of my immediate goals.

Any suggestions for new ones?

1 comment:

:cassia marie: said...

so, first of all, i don't think you need any more goals! second, this is plenty, and you are doing great things! third, if you really, really, really feel like you need short-term goals, start with things like basic cleaning of the house and table, or taking 5 minutes to just sit down and breath, doing nothing else. :)