Friday, January 4, 2013

On Death: A Short Collection

When my heart is heavy, I often turn outward. I have found that poetry, music, scripture, and other texts have great power to express those emotions that even tears do not adequately express. 

Thus, I have attempted a short collection of those writings which have touched my heart today.  Jeff was a very good man, and his death has left many lives a little emptier than they were this morning. We love you, Amber and family. May the Lord be with you at this time. 


Mary Elizabeth Frye wrote:

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.








“Death is not the opposite of life, but a part of it.” 
― Haruki MurakamiBlind Willow, Sleeping Woman: 24 Stories


For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39) 


Gone From My Sight
by Henry Van Dyke
I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side,
spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone"

Gone where?

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.
And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

And that is dying...

Death comes in its own time, in its own way.
Death is as unique as the individual experiencing it.




 And the elders of the church...shall be called, and shall pray for and lay their hands upon them in my name; and if they die they shall die unto me, and if they live they shall live unto me.
 45 Thou shalt live together in love, insomuch that thou shalt weep for the loss of them that die, and more especially for those that have not hope of a glorious resurrection.
 46 And it shall come to pass that those that die in me shall not taste of death, for it shall be sweet unto them.

"Death be not proud, though some have called thee"
                                               John Donne
DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee 
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so, 
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow, 
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me. 
From rest and sleepe, which but thy pictures bee,         5
Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow, 
And soonest our best men with thee doe goe, 
Rest of their bones, and soules deliverie. 
Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men, 
And dost with poyson, warre, and sicknesse dwell,  10
And poppie, or charmes can make us sleepe as well, 
And better then thy stroake; why swell'st thou then; 
One short sleepe past, wee wake eternally, 
And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die.


El maley rakhamim shokhen ba-m'romim ha-m'tzei m'nukhah n'khonah takhat kanfei ha-sh'khinah b'ma'alot k'doshim u't'horim k'zohar ha-rakiah maz'hirim l'nishmot yakireinu u'k'dosheinu she-hal'khu l'olamam. Ana ba'al ha-rakhamim ha-s'tirem b'tzel k'nafekha l'olamim u-tz'ror bitz'ror ha-khayim et nishmatam. Adonay hu nakhalatam v'yanukhu b'shalom al mish'kabam v'nomar amen.
God filled with mercy,
dwelling in the heavens' heights,
bring proper rest
beneath the wings of your Shehinah,
amid the ranks of the holy and the pure,
illuminating like the brilliance of the skies
the souls of our beloved and our blameless
who went to their eternal place of rest.
May you who are the source of mercy
shelter them beneath your wings eternally,
and bind their souls among the living,
that they may rest in peace.
And let us say: Amen



And, my favorite: 
In articulo mortis --- At the moment of death
Caelitus mihi vires --- My strength is from heaven
Deo adjuvante non timendum --- God helps, nothing should be feared
In perpetuum --- For ever
Dirige nos domine --- Direct us, O Lord
Ad augusta per angusta --- To high places by narrow roads
Sic itur ad astra --- Such is the path to the stars
Excelsior --- Ever upward 




I am so grateful for the Plan of Salvation and the understanding that families are forever. I know that  these principles are true, and it gives me great comfort in times of grief, heartache, and pain. Cry for those who are no longer with us, and live our lives so that we may see them again. May the Lord be with the families of those who have passed on. 

No comments: