Saturday, March 22, 2014

Freedom and Roots and Goat Cheese, ilHamdulAllah

"I also need to be a little bit more careful about what I say on this blog. Apparently, the LAPD and Captain Hammer are among our viewers."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I typed out 3 different blog entries but I don't like any of them so I'm starting over. Again. 

Basically, it's more steps of the same. Today I decided I didn't actually have time or desire to be the pursuer in a relationship, contrary to yesterday's post. And so, as I'm not a date-whoever's-there-just-for-the-sake-of-a-relationship kind of girl, dating is probably just going to slide to the back burner for a while. Or completely off of the metaphorical stove. No sense cooking something if no one is around to eat it. (Except in reality I do that all the time. Hmmmm. haha metaphor fail.)

 I'm networking around to various chefs in the area, hoping to expand my range of ethnic foods and specialized services in the food industry. I have so, so many things I would like to do and explore. I'm slowly checking them off the list. I just need to find a better rhythm, so I can start moving through the list a little faster and actually finishing things. Trying not to create too many deep root attachments to Utah; I'm thinking sometime in the next couple years I'm going to want to get out of here for a little while. Even if it's just a 6-month/year long stint, I'm thinking hopping a plane and finding a job Elsewhere for a while might be very beneficial. It's a new idea, so I think I'm going to let it stew around for a while and try organizing my life such that it could happen. No reason to drop more roots than I actually need to in a place I'm not sure I want to stay. Southern California is looking mighty fine; or maybe the Bay area. We shall see. The final destination isn't important; just the idea that Sabina wants to leave. 

In the meantime, today I met a really great guy named Mustafa. He owns and operates O'Falafel, a Middle Eastern restaurant in Salt Lake. I met him through his daughter, Amani, who invited me to help her with a play this afternoon. Her father also came. We connected in both love of food, and love of the Arabic language. He is native Palestinian, lived in Jerusalem, studied pastry in Switzerland, and is going to teach me how to make delicious magic. Seriously, his hand-made pita is some of the best I've ever encountered. And the hummus. The hummus! His chicken is also fabulous, and Amani suggested he teach me how to make lamb. I am quite thrilled with this new development. Though, it will force me to expand and review my Arabic language skills. I didn't learn a lot of kitchen terms, and it's been years since I've taken the class, anyway. Maybe this will be good motivation for some serious FusHa study, eh? Amani lives in the house directly above my cousin's basement apartment, and I think we are going to be great friends. She is super laid back, and I was glad to finally meet her. PLUS she gave me a block of goat cheese and some pita to take home, which was great. 


No comments: