Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Spring Projects

Today, I've been working on school, getting the last two projects done for this quarter of baking school. Next block of classes starts on Saturday, and I still have an exam to take and all the paperwork to do, so I was cutting this one a little close. This is my 20 minutes between lamination turns of the last puff pastry.  

I realized I have 94 days until my birthday. Crazy.

The weather looks great, it has me excited about my herb garden this year. I don't have a lot of time, so I'm thinking I'll just do herbs and some peppers. I love peppers, and bell peppers can get spendy. I adore farmer's markets, as well, and I think this year I'm going to have to procure most of my fresh produce from there. I should find a handsome man to go walking to market with. :-) One of my favorite summer pastimes.

I also decided to pursue training as a professional chocolatier. Don't panic, dear concerned readers, this training will be postponed until AFTER graduation from current culinary training. However, it will be a bit expensive. Thus, I will be pursuing means of "extra" income (is there such a thing?) to better enable me to afford such a school. I mean, lets be honest, there is never going to be "enough" money, so I may as well put my current fixed expenses on my current income, then add extra jobs for this extra schooling. Completely putting off professional training until I am "financially secure" seems a little silly--especially since chocolate training could greatly increase my earning potential.

Made sense to me, anyway. It will require much care in time management, however.

One of the first "extra" jobs I accepted was a large crochet commission. I say "large" in terms of "many hours," not large in terms of size. The finished product will be approximately the size of a standard teddy bear. The client wants a plushy version of Ganesh, the elephant/Siddah god of the Hindu pantheon.

What a project.

I've been working on the design for 3 days, hashing out logistics of proportion, weight, stabilization, etc. and doing a ton of simple-but-time-consuming math.  I hope to begin the design this weekend. I have a 5 week deadline, so I really can't postpone begin time much farther out than that. I'm a little intimidated, but I'm excited for the challenge.

No comments: