Friday, June 1, 2012

Expert


I decided to do my 5th-grade "expert" project on cooking. I made a simple recipe book, learned some new techniques, and have dabbled in it ever since.
12 years since I started the project, with the help of my mom, I'm starting to think it's high time I finished it.

It's been a long time since I've put the full force of my brain-power behind one project.  I've been spread out very thin for the last few years, what with school, a variety of jobs (usually 2 at a time), medical shenanigans, family realignment, drumline, and a budding business or two. Not to mention various church callings, social and romantic interests, and learning new skills such as theatre makeup, guitar, dance, languages, and other such things. 

As I am not quite finished with my Bachelors, I don't know that it is possible yet to put full-force brain-power behind Epic Foodi-ness. I've been cooking for a long time, and I enjoy it. I've had pet-projects along the way, including spice exploration, cheese research, artisan breads, the Great Cake Project, and candy-bar inspired desserts. I've also had more one-time type projects, like the Bacon Cake, or the pie-inside-a-cake "Cherpumple," (that one is still in the works), Baked Alaska, Butterbeer, various Pi Day celebrations, and other  concoctions.

It's nice, though, to have a focus. And the food industry seems like a place where it will be hard to get bored.  And, I can move around a lot, if I feel so inclined  (at least to begin with).  I've had a couple opportunities to put down more permanent roots in Provo, but I'm really not sure if I want to do that...not just in Provo--I don't really want permanent roots anywhere, yet.

But it's cool to know I'm on the road to being really, really, ridiculously good at something. I'm pretty okay at a lot of things, but I'd love to see what I could accomplish with a little bit of focus. 

No comments: