Friday, June 8, 2012

Job Security

So, the other day, I was feeling kind of down.
Happens to the best of us.
 I had a lot on my mind, as often happens to people who think. 
I've come to a major, major crossroads in my life. I was considering all the options laid out before me, and was trying to solidify in my own mind the decisions I have made and the unexpected timeline in which I had fit them. 


One of the many issues I was pondering was my life course.  Could I even make it in the food industry?  Did I even know what I was doing?  Would I be able to make enough money to fulfill my responsibilities to myself and to my near-future family? Is now the right time?  Do I even know enough to make it work?  The reality is, I am completely beyond "stepping outside the box."  I basically blasted "the box" to smithereens. Was it even worth it??

The answer came, as answers often do, from the most unexpected of places. My cousin and my roommate and I had gone to the store to pick up some bananas.  As I looked around at all of the ingredients and other foodstuffs, pondering my ponderings, my thoughts were feeling really weighted down.  I could feel myself getting discouraged, and I said a little prayer in my heart. 


Right then, my eyes landed upon...this.  In the midst of the delicious baked goods and cutsie buttercream-ed pastries--an ugly duckling amongst the swans--sat this monstrosity of a cupcake. 



I stared at it for a moment, and then realized that my initial reaction (that some bitter decorator had chosen to give a visual artistic representation of the hemorrhoidal feces of a cellulitic cat) was actually incorrect, and in fact  the cupcake was attempting to be a
 HAMBURGER. 

After my initial gag reflex, I started to laugh. All of my worries seemed to dissolve, and I felt a little ridiculous for being so down just minutes before. 


Now, don't get me wrong--I'm sure the decorator is an extremely talented individual. All of the other cupcakes were absolutely adorable. All of the "hamburger/cat feces" cupcakes, however, were beyond my definition of "awful."  (This was not the only one--we found a chocolate one!)
So, lest I come off as haughty, proud, and mocking, let me clarify:  the moral of the story is not "I'm better than this decorator, so there!" Not even close.  
The moral of this story is: "Everyone is going to have bad days. Don't make a habit of them, and you won't get fired. You have the talent to succeed at what you do. Work hard, and you'll be fine."

The secondary moral of the story, of course, is never make cupcakes that look like disease-ridden cat poop.


Thank you, random cake decorator, for totally messing up those cupcakes. It kicked my attitude back on to the right track. 


My cousin whipped out a video camera to catch the end of my reaction. (I love modern technology. And Jake.  Well played, sir.)



PS--I bought the cupcake. 




No comments: